I guess the biggest thing going on in Stephanie-land is my job has gotten a bit more interesting this week...and I am really hoping this is the beginning of something good. VERY good. Like $$$.
My current job is being the Executive Administrative Assistant (oooh) to the Vice President of Management & Organization Development, Staffing, and Training. HR gobbledy-gook. My boss is incredible. He is the true definition of a LEADER. A good and fair one. Which is rather rare these days in Corporate America so I am really lucky. He is also very encouraging as far as his employees go - always giving them opportunites to do more - to strive higher. Or if you want to sit and be stagnate and just do your job, he lets you do that too. (I've been doing that since November 2005 when I got those 2 lines on the pregnancy test... but anyways.....)
He was out of town on business this week so instead of just manning his phones and taking piddly little requests from his MOD department (which all sit in the area right next to us in the HQ...) I have been helping the Staffing department which is located at the Operations Center (the building I used to work in years ago before the HQ was built and all of the NY people came down to work here...) To make a long story short, I LOVE IT HERE. I am depressed about Monday because I do not want to go back to the HQ.
The Staffing Department over here is truly a TEAM. I have contributed this week and I feel incredibly productive. They are so appreciative of everything I have done for them - and it hasn't just been admin stuff, they actually gave me MEANINGFUL work to do. They also gave me a permanent cube and ordered me a really nice, new printer and phone...I actually have a cube with high walls and a doorway. No counter where people can just walk up and tell me to do their stupid shit work. It's wonderful!!!! I have projects and goals and accountability.
So, I sent my boss an e-mail today giving him the summary of my week and also detailed how I can add future value to this department. I think what is going to happen is that I am going to have 2 "offices" and come over here when BossMan says I can... I am going to get more involved in our University Relations Recruiting...and all of the HUGE events that surround that program. You all know I love some Event Planning - esp with an unlimited budget. :)
Soooooooo, I am ready to prove myself. The assignment this week has given me a little bit of my career mojo back. I am ready to move up the ladder - jump job grade(s) - and get out of a purely administrative role. That's the plan, Stan.
So, I'm glad it's Friday. We have a few dinky plans this weekend but nothing pressing. I'm SO glad. At some point I want to stroll Lakeside Avenue...hit Kohls...Ben Franklin for craft supplies to make my old boss a wedding gift...stuff like that.
Our travels last weekend were awesome - Stella was a fantastic passenger in the car and a great travel buddy. She slept both nights in the hotel like a dream baby - like she usually is (we are so LUCKY.) We had dinner at the Coggins' house on Friday night - I had not seen Stacy since my wedding and that really doesn't count because we didn't get to truly "catch up" there. We were able to have dinner together Friday and Saturday nights last weekend and it was so wonderful to hear about her life. (Good grief, we were attached at the hip in college, esp our freshman and sophomore years.) I attended the Kim/Kim LMC Baby Shower on Saturday and that was really nice as well! The planners did a really nice job and it was lovely seeing everyone (and their offspring!) again.
So overall, this past week has been a really good one!
Miss Stella started saying N sounds on the way home from Winston-Salem on Sunday...and she's also following most everything we say with a cute (not annoying yet) "Mmm?" I can't wait for the day when it's "Why?" after everything - like that Tostitos commercial.
Happy Weekends, Everyone!
2 comments:
Good luck and I am glad you are motivated ... you would be great at the step up you are so so thoughtful in all that you do!
ps all week I have sat at my desk and giggled at Stella and her "cough" she is a wonderful baby! Her smile is very very contagious!
Man, did I love having you back here! PLEASE keep me posted on the job things,I'd love to have you back here all the time!!!
Post a Comment