I did it! I actually followed through and went to Gold's Gym with my free One-Week pass.
And I hated it there.
I do want to say, I LOVED getting back in a gym atmosphere and walking on the treadmill felt fantastic. I even was able to say at 3.0 MPH for most of my 25 minutes (could NOT make it to 30 minutes. I got bored and wanted to get home!!!) So, I was pleased with that.... I am starting from NEGATIVE scratch so being at 3.0 made me happy.
But I did not feel welcome there. The girls in the locker room were all skinny skinny and snotty. No one said "excuse me" when they push past you. And overhearing conversations between girls in there, I hear a lot of "like, oh my god" and "whatever!" and it just got on my nerves. Maybe it was the time I went - 5pm - but I just didn't like it and could not see myself there on a regular basis. The main floor was crowded as hell and it actually felt kind of DARK to me... I didn't like how it was all set up - in rows, all facing one wall. I act like I am a Gym Designer or something - which I am not - but I just didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling - and for someone who HATES TO EXERCISE WITH A PASSION, I need some warm fuzzies to keep me coming back.
(To be fair, I think they have great group exercise classes - but I am not a "group exerciser." Atleast not until I lose 50 lbs...)
The deal was sealed when I asked a guy if there were hand towells to use (like to wipe the sweat off of your face) and he said "You can rent one."
Ummm. I'm too spoiled. I'm going back to my PM Fitness Center where they GIVE me towells AND workout clothes and then wash them for me. They GIVE me a radio to use to tune into the TVs and I can tell them which channel I want to watch. And it's FREE.
So, the "grass is always greener on the other side" theory came into play here. I checked out the "other side" and I didn't like it. It's greener where I am.
That being said, Toby and I talked about me getting a regular after-work gym schedule down starting next week. The rest of this week I am working at a recruiting event downtown and don't really know my schedule but I know I'll be later getting home... So, plan to see some workout updates next week.
It DID feel good to get on that treadmill. And you know what is the coolest thing ever? An Ipod Shuffle. (Thank you, my brutha Matty Poo!) That thing ROCKS!! I only had about 20 minutes of songs on there so I really need to get some tunes uploaded. (My husband keeps "stealing" my Itunes gift cards - the turd.) Anyway, I like to workout to rap and dance music so I was jamming to some Usher "Yeah" and some Digital Underground "Humpty Dance" - Oh Yeah.
But you know what song had me ready to break into a run and I don't do that unless a big gorilla with a knife is chasing me... "Here we go again" by OK GO. (Aka: The Treadmill Song) Oh, the irony.
2 comments:
You have to find a gym that you are comfortable with in order to use it. Mine also gives towels, I'm not going for the no towel gym either.
I also got a shuffle for valentines day, I load podcasts on it and its great for walking.
I love that song too ... the treadmill song I call it ... love it! Good luck you have done more than me already!
Post a Comment