Sunday, March 22, 2009

Phyllis

I am just never in the mood to update the blog these days...But I am forcing myself because it's important and I love having this site as documentation of most of my life.

The biggest news is that my Great Aunt Phyllis will not be with us much longer. Probably not past tomorrow. She has had a long 4 months of mystery sicknesses and health scares. Crazy stuff like blood clots, bad reactions to prescribed mediations, circulation issues resulting in her feet turning black, surgeries, physical therapy, body aches and pains, etc. I can't even think of everything. In and out of different doctors offices and hospitals. There were a few mistakes and bad decisions made by doctors. Even through all of this, I don't think any of us REALLY thought she would be gone so soon. But in the end, it was FINALLY determined that she has Multiple Myeloma - thus the extreme bone pain. Her bones are erroding.

Phyllis is my Dad's aunt - my Nanny's sister. Phyllis is in black...




She's also the funniest person I have ever known.

And I am not the only person who would say that.

At my bridal shower, I came REAL close to peeing in my pants laughing at Phyllis - and so did several others. I have pictures.

She is always the life of the party - the center of attention. Especially at Christmas.

It's just not Christmas until Phyllis and Nanny sing their duet as Kenny and Dolly doing "I'll be home with bells on." I have video.

And now I have the song stuck in my head. DANG!! It's tradition to have that song stuck until atleast New Year's Eve.

Proof of the duet:


I wish you could hear it. You'd have it stuck in your head too.

Phyllis and Jimmy have been married for almost 50 years. They have an incredible farm out in Hanover County and just three years ago they opened a Farmer's Market. In the summer, we go atleast twice a week for vegetables (hanover tomatoes!) and flowers...but mostly to see Phyllis.



I can't imagine this summer.

My earliest memory of Phyllis was at Nagshead when ALL of my family used to go to the beach and rent a giant house. And I mean ALL of my family - both sides! (My mom and dad were neighbors as kids so both side of my family know each other.) I do not know how it started, but Phyllis taught me to say "OLAY!" at age two. I think it started with her Oil of Olay...not sure. But she loved to tell people about me running around saying "OLAY!"

I'll always have the memories of Phyllis and Jimmy's incredible parties EVERY Christmas Eve. I mean BIG parties. With giant shrimp and that pineapple centerpiece with pineapple, banana, and cherry skewers.

Phyllis worked at Lowenstein's forever - a really fancy jewelry store in the center of downtown Richmond. She helped Toby pick out my wedding ring.

My Nanny and Phyllis are super-close. I know Nanny will be ok - her faith is strong and deep. But her heart is broken and a BIG piece is missing now. I'm thinking a lot about Jimmy and their children Dennis and Tami. I'm really putting myself in Tami's shoes and then I have to jump out of them really really quick. My mind won't go there.

Life just scares me sometimes.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry Steph. :( I know how hard this is, just keep thinking about those hilarious times with her when things get sad. :(

Melanie said...

I'm sorry to hear about Phyllis. It's hard watching people that we grew up with and love dearly not be with us forever. I'm glad to hear that Kenny and Dolly have made a mark on other families other than mine. I've seen those songs in our house evolve from Record, to tape, and now, CD. Love it!! It's stuck in my head after reading the posting.

MBKimmy said...

So Sorry to hear about this ... I will pray for you all!
Love, hugs and kisses!

I'm beth. said...

I'm sorry to hear that :( I hope she holds on longer than expected.

I know how you feel, my dad has Multiple Myeloma and he's down in Texas being treated for it right now. Just had a stem cell transplant last week and hopes to be home by next weekend.

Leslie said...

Big, huge, bodacious prayers coming your way. I'm really sorry, it sounds like she's so special!!