Sunday, February 24, 2008

Uncle Donnie

I met Donnie in 1995 (right? Good Lord I am old...) when he was a freshman and I was a sophomore at Lees-McRae. We hit it off instantly and our friendship grew and grew over the years at school - and beyond. He is currently a designer for William Ivey Long - the famed Broadway designer. (You may have heard of these little plays like "The Producers" and "Hairspray" - haha!) Anyway, I stay with Donnie when I go up to NYC which is not nearly enough!! He has not met Stella yet because the man works 8 days a week. Literally. He barely gets home to S.C. to see his family on holidays. What is amazing to me, is that in his busy life, he finds the time to pick out amazing gifts for her during his time in NYC and on his work travels. They are always addressed to "Stella O." and from "Uncle Donnie."

I have decided to document all of the cards and presents that my friend Donnie sends to Stella.

He started this before she was born...and has created such an amazing tradition that we ALL treasure. I will post as they come...but for this post, it will be a catch-up.

The first gift was sent to me and Toby before Stella was born...

Dear Stephanie and Toby,
I found this little vintage 1930's infant gown while I was out shopping and thought Stella O'Dell could use this. As you can tell from the inconsistencies in the smocking and pin tucking, it is handmade, most likely American. I do hope you like it. Sweet and Classy, just like your Stella will be.
Much love,
Donnie


Right after she was born....

For Darling Stella O,
The sweetest flowers in all the world - a baby's hands.
Love,
Your Uncle Donnie


(**This one earned him the name of RICH Uncle Donnie. LOL! And S.O.C. is engraved on the side of the rattle...)

October 2006:

Darling Stella O,
I hope that this little fall treat isn't too small for you, sweet pumpkin. All my love to you and your parents and the rest of your family,
Love,
Uncle Donnie
Photobucket

Feb 2007:

Darling Stella,
I found this little Victorian hanger (English, circa 1886) and thought it could be the perfect way to hang your winter jacket. Thinking of you more often now that your Mom and Dad have sent your beautiful photos. I promise to get down to Virginia to see you very soon. Much love to you Stella O!!
Love,
Uncle Donnie


(**I hung the Victorian Dress from it and it's hanging on her wall in her room...)

September 2007

Dear Stella,
I was working at the Cameron Art Museum in Wilmington, North Carolina this weekend and saw this in the gift shop - I thought you might enjoy. Now I know that it's a little large, but thought you could grow into it. Thinking of you!
With much love,
Uncle Donnie
Photobucket
Photobucket
(This is a Hokey Pokey Skirt and it plays the song! And check out Rocky Balboa! Lord the bruises!!!)

December 2007:

Dearest Stella,
I love my Opening Night ornament! How very thoughtful! Please find enclosed a small New Year's Gift. It is an elephant bank that used to belong to me. My relatives would fill it with change (and dollars when I was lucky) and every January my Dad and I would go down to the bank and deposit the money into a saving account for my college fund. It took eighteen years, but I had a very nice nest egg when I started college as a result of saving - I hope you will do the same. All my love to you dear Stella O!!
Uncle Donnie
P.S. "PNB" stands for People's National Bank - they were doing a promotion in the Christmastime of 1968. The bank first belonged to my father.

(**Note from Stephanie: Just the thought of him giving this family heirloom to MY daughter makes me cry!! PNB 1968 is engraved on the side - but you can't see it in the photo.)



January 2008:

Darling Stella O,
I was working out of town in Asheville, North Carolina, very near where your mother and I went to school together. I found a little doll, handmade by a local woman, and I fell in love with it. It is 2 of my favorite characters, Dorothy and the Cowardly Lion. You may be too young to red the story of the Wizard of Oz, but you are never too young for a little Judy Garland!!
All of my love to you,
Uncle Donnie


And then flip the doll over and.....


February 2008:

Darling Stella,
I have just returned from Manteo, North Carolina where I was working on the costumes for "The Lost Colony." It is an outdoor drama about Sir Walter Raleigh's colony that disappeared long ago before America even existed. I picked up a few treats for you while I was there. When you are old enough, we will go see the show, but in the meantime, enjoy the dolls and learn about the story.
Much love,
Uncle Donnie




And here she is playing with the dolls last night. Under STRICT supervision. LOL! They are now on a HIGH shelf until we get a bit older....

Kissing them...


4 comments:

MBKimmy said...

I am crying over her in SC! Donnie is so so thoughtful, always has been! Stella is lucky to have him as a "uncle"

Melanie said...

All those gifts are truly thoughtful! Donnie is such a great guy! Stella is lucky to have an uncle like him!

Chris said...

Stella is a lucky girl! Such neat stuff...I can't wait to see what else Uncle Donnie sends.
LOVE that skirt too!

Ms. Kiki said...

That is so touching. I got choked up at the bank he gave you. Wow. What a neat friend, and what a neat person for Stella to have in her life!