Friday, February 04, 2005

Marriage License Adventure

Being the total dork that I am, I researched before we went. I wanted to make sure we had everything we needed to make this operation run smoothly. For one, I can't take any obstacles at the moment because nerves are shot. For two, Toby can't EVER handle any obstacles without first exploding (see previous post) so I really did some pre-work to make sure it would be seemless. On Chesterfield County's website, there is no mention of needing any paperwork of any kind. Sweet! We just need to know the DATE that Toby's first marriage ended.

I stayed at Toby's last night so that we could get up early and go. On the ride to the Chesterfield Courthouse, Toby must have gotten 453,765,987,678,234 Nextel calls from work. I thought we could have a nice conversation on the way to get our Marriage License about how much we loved each other and what an amazing life we will have together. (haha! Just kidding.) We finally get there and are informed that they can not do anything for us without all of Toby's divorce documents - from when he lived in Illinois 5 years ago. He can't find the receipt from yesterday's dinner much less some paperwork from 5 years ago. (although we WILL have a state of the art, amazing filing system when I move in. Trust me.)

I can see the instant frustration in Toby's eyes and in his body language - and here it starts coming out of his mouth. THIS IS RIDICULOUS. I NEED TO GET TO WORK. I CAN'T BE ANY LATER THAN I ALREADY AM. blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Oh, what a positive, happy experience. The woman in the Clerk's office surely thinks we are going to last a long time...bickering in the marriage license office....

So, we decide to call Powhatan County and sure enough they do not require any paperwork. Off we go! And since Toby is a good ol' country boy and won't take a main road or a highway to save his life, we drive through DELIVERANCE for 45+ minutes to get from Chesterfield to Powhatan. AND WE HAD SUCCESS. I have the license in my hand. Whew!!

So back in the car we go, drive through Deliverance once again to get Toby to his job site....and now I'm car sick.

But I'm getting married!!!

No comments: