I have been thinking today about my weight loss journey and my lack of success for the past 4 years. I know it's ME and my constant search (whether it's unconscious or not) for a way to cheat the system and either not exercise or sneak food or round down the points or "forget" the 500 calorie snack I had or ALL OF THE ABOVE. I think I am constantly in search of the perfect plan. And I find a plan that I am sure is THE plan and I plan my meals and my exercise and when I don't follow through on my plan I beat myself up and go hog wild for a bit until I feel like total arse mentally and physically so then I start to plan again and....vicious cycle. I can't tell you how many binders, and spreadsheets, and journals, and notebooks, and BLAH. It's ridiculous.
There is TOO much info out there about food, diet, supplements, exercise, etc. I'm always thinking what I am doing is not "right" and that there has to be another combination that is THE answer. So I might as well not work too hard on THIS plan since there has to be a better one out there.
But what about LIVING. What about just LIVING LIFE? What about just making sure you move every day and that you eat as natural as possible? What about not thinking about this 24/7? What about not weighing yourself all the time and just going by the pants-o-meter? What about going by HOW YOU FEEL only?
It sounds so foreign - yet so refreshing.
3 comments:
I love this. My problem is exercise, which I KNOW puts me in a better mood and keeps my appetite under control. I love to have done it, but I hate doing it. So I have always tried to find novel ways of exercising. I mean, walking is fine, but it always seems so ... aimless. So I try these stupid programs (Train for a 5K? Do hundredpushups.com?) and then abandon them.
It finally occurred to me that I'm within walking distance of at least 1/2 the errands I run. So I'm trying to spread those out over the week and leave the car in the driveway. One day walk to the post office. Another day walk to CVS. Walk to the bank.
So far, so good. It's nice that I'm just doing what I need to do, and the exercise is sort of an afterthought.
Steph, you know I feel you on this one (and Lia, you too...I blogged yesterday about being addicted to being DONE with my workouts, but detesting every frickin' second of them while I'm there.)
I think you're on to something. Live actively, eat as healthy as you can, keep an eye on portion size, and just go by the pants. If they're tight, eat less and try be more conscious of your choices. But I think that the programs (at least for me) start off exciting, like the first day of school, but it's hard to LIVE like that.
amen, sister. live life comfortably and naturally. there's no pressure. there's no deadline!
Post a Comment