Monday, March 31, 2008

Dreary

That pretty much sums up everything today... this past weekend, the weather, my mood, the experience I just had in the cafeteria.....

I owe you guys an update regarding Officer S*******. Well, as far as I know, an investigation is still underway within the Police Department. Who knows? I have to say, I was disappointed last week when a Captain called me and told me he was in charge of the investigation and could I please give him names and numbers of the others that were there. So I excitedly got off the phone and called our closest friend who was there and he said "I don't really want my name involved..."

Huh?

Everyone was so damn angry and gung-ho when this went down! Everyone was ready to take off work and go to court with us and confront the injustice. So I put MY name out there (I wasn't even there...) and wrote letters and had meetings with lawyers and security people.... So, I was upset but told him "that's your right, I suppose." I called Toby and asked him to give me the other guys' numbers. Well, when HE asked the other guy, he said the same thing. Nice. I think Toby's feelings were hurt... I know mine would have been.

The third guy and his girlfriend agreed to be interviewed. So I gave their names and number to the Captain...and have yet to hear back - from anyone. I have a feeling the Captain called them, left a message, and they never called him back. So, it's probably all being swept under the rug. And you know what?

Fine.

Matt' girlfriend Kristen worked for a lawyer years ago and when she told him the story, he was so mad that he offered to represent Toby for FREE. So I told Toby about it and he squashed it. He doesn't want to fight it. He wants to pay the fine and forget it. Forget the charge and forget the investigation.

So, FINE.

I'm done. It's not my charge. It's not my record or my reputation. I wasn't even freaking there!! I was fighting for Toby's rights, but if HE won't even fight for his rights, then screw it. And if his friends won't even stand up for him.... I can't do it alone. And I WON'T do it alone. So, there you have it. I guess it's over....and I'm writing a check to the courts for $101 tomorrow.

So, the first half of this weekend was pretty good. Toby's aunt and uncle kept Stella overnight on Saturday. They live about 40 minutes from us...so we drove her out there and you would think we were driving her to summer camp to stay for a month. We were so distraught!! Not because we were nervous or scared, but because we were going to miss her. I know you all are gagging now, but it's true! I just ENJOY her.

We left there and had dinner at a new mexican place we have wanted to try (El Toro Loco) and it was NOT that great. Richmonders, don't waste your time or money. Just stick with the best: Mexico!!

While eating, were were talking about what to do next and we seriously could not figure out what to do....

I don't want to go to a bar....
I don't want to go see a movie, I'm too tired....
I don't feel like drinking....
I don't want to go hang out with people....

So, we ended up at Barnes and Nobles and walked around for a long time... which actually was perfect! I can't remember the last time I did that. And I didn't have to rush because someone was getting antsy... it was nice.

And it was REALLY nice to be able to sleep in until I am done sleeping, you know?!?!

I slept in until the late hour of 9am. WOO HOO!

We got up and I had my coffee and turned on the laptop to find an upsetting e-mail from my Mom about my cousins - they had been in a horrible car accident on Saturday night. She sent an e-mail because she didn't want to wake us up so early.... She had left for church by the time I got the message. So I called my Grandma and she filled me in.

They were drunk driving. I can't say I'm surprised, but I'm so incredibly sad and upset. I won't go into it all but I'll just ask for prayers for them both. Neither one is in good shape, but one is way worse than the other... And pray for their wives and children.

And pray for the other people they hit - a guy and a girl - both with broken limbs.

It was a horrible accident, but so far, everyone is alive. If they make it out of this, then pray for some LESSONS to be learned. Some major lessons. And CHANGE. Pray for change.

Accidents are horrible; but they are really horrible when they are 100% preventable.

So......... I'm kind of on edge today about all of this.

And work is a nuthouse today with some big restructure/transitioning thingees going on. (And that is the technical term. ha!)

I'm a wee bit sensitive.

I went downstairs to get some lunch in the cafeteria. We have several "stations" of food. The saute station, sandwich station, pizza station, grill station, salad bar, etc... At the saute station, they were fixing a pasta dish. I didn't want the whole dish, I just wanted about 10 of the penne noodles on top of my salad. SO I ask the girl behind the counter for just a few noodles....I mean, I will be paying for them; my salad will be weighed. And the girl says No.

Huh? (I'm doing a lot of that lately.)

I said "I can't have just a spoonful of cold pasta?"

And she points to the whole station and says "The pasta is just for this."

And I say "But I just want a spoonful..."

And she gets all huffy and mad and says "Whatever!" and reaches for my salad container.

So I snatch it back and say "Well if you are going to get in trouble over some pasta, just forget it!" (Honestly, I was surprised at my outburst. I never do that.)

And I went and got a turkey burger.

The point of all that - it really upset me! I almost cried! I mean, WTF?!?! I am seriously contemplating putting in a complaint. My boss is the VP that is over the Employee Amenities Department which includes all food service. If I wanted to be a twerp, I could totally name drop. And I am close to doing it.

But I know I'm not upset over some cold penne.

It's the fact that lives have been altered over stupid alcohol and idiotic decisions.

And I just don't get it.

3 comments:

Chris said...

Steph (((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))
So sorry you have all this going on. The Pasta girl was a beotch for sure but I get that she was just the breaking point. Been there, done that. I'm saying prayers that all of your family memebers are OK and the others involved too. I hate that the Toby thing is going down the way it is too. I totally understand why you feel the way you do. Of course it is his decision to let it go but I see why you would be pissed. I'm sure he just wants to put it behind him and forget it. You want to stand by him and take names and KICK A$$. You're a good wife and mommy! Glad you had a Stella free night. Sounds like what we do when Lindsay goes off for an over night. Until she leaves I fret over how much I'm going to miss her and what if this or that happens and I'm not there...but you deserve and need that break every now and then!
Take it easy!

MBKimmy said...

okay wow what a LOT of info - where do I start -
Toby - I am so so sorry that you stood TALL and that he did not stand tall with you! That really sucks! You put SO MUCH into them (hubbys) and you think they appreciate it and then poof they back out - yuck!
Stella Free night - YEAH girl! You go and I am not judging for the being upset thing - I really miss Tatum when she is not here and to think she starts day care next monday I have been a MESS since I paid in her application fee - mess I tell you!
what else - to the pasta bitch - wish I could have been there ... the preggo hormones are LIVE AND KICKING ... it has been really rough lately I have been quick and snippy with everyone! I could have bit her head off with you!
other than that drop that name girl I mean for real it was some freakin pasta - geeze

Anonymous said...

Big prayers for your cousins!!!!