It was a "St. Patty's Day" theme-ish kind of thing... nothing overboard... but I saw a really cool flower arrangement online that resembled a pitcher of beer and thought that would be cool....but they were $30 each and I needed 6. That's $180 for centerpieces, so being the fiscally responsible employee I am, I decided "Hey! I can make them myself!"
So I scoured the internet and bought 6 Pilsner Glasses for $31, some ribbon and floral foam stuff for $35, 500 amber colored marbles for $48, and a bunch of fake white carnations for $33. That's $147. So, I didn't save much....but I also was up for the challenge of making them myself and showing off my creative side.
So the marbles arrived on time. And the package from Klinq.com arrived which SHOULD have contained my pilsner glasses....but I opened it up to find a nice, shiney, red, cheese fondue pot. You can't make this stuff up, people.
So I went through hell with those people to return the pot. They also informed me that they could not resend the glasses because as of that day, their warehouse was undergoing renovations and could not ship anything out. Sweet!! Credit my Amex, please. And kiss my ass.
The meeting is on Thursday, and by Tuesday night, I had not received anything but 500 marbles - which is NOT enough for diddly squat - just for your future reference.
Out to Ben Franklin I go...with visions of Beer Mugs in my head. I just KNEW they would have them on the same aisle with the giant margarita glasses. Well, no they don't. And neither does Michaels Crafts. And it was raining. At rush hour. In the West End. And I was hungry. And I was pissed and irritated.
I did end up buying 15 more bags of marbles. Not even joking. They were smallish bags - but still. And I also bought a bunch of fake white carnations because my internet order had not arrived yet and I couldn't wait anymore. To the tune of $31.02.
THEN I still had to find glasses. I headed to Target and found Guiness Pint Glasses. Perfect! They came in sets of 4. I needed 6. So I decided to be even and do 2 for each table and got 3 boxes. To the tune of $62.
So, for all of you mathmaticians, in order to SAVE money, I made the centerpieces myself and spent $60 MORE than I would have if I had just ordered the F&^%*#$ things to begin with.
But ain't they pretty?


In other exciting news, I now have 9 blocks of floral foam (that I ended up not using) and a giant box of fake white carnations that I have to find a place to store them.... So if you ever find yourself in need.... give me a shout.
And since I haven't posted some recent pics of Miss Thing, here she is in my shoes. She ALWAYS get this pair out to clunk around the house. Now, Toby used to yell his head off at me if I walked inside with my shoes on - I had to take them off immediately inside the front door and CARRY them to my closet. And here she is flopping the heels into the wood floor CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK and he just smiles..............



And here's a lovely self portrait after her bath last night - wrapped in a towel. My little bathing beauty.
4 comments:
Egads! But I have to say I love the centerpieces....Martin is a Guinness FREAK, so I'll have to show him these. He'll approve!
You need to paint Stella's toes if she's going to wear open-toed shoes! :-) Too cute...
OMG...I'm ROLLING! PROOF you should have just spent the darn money and saved yourself the aggravation! Although...you did a better job in the end, they look awesome. If it were me (not as creative)I'd have just bought the ones on the internet. I hope your co-workers were truly impressed. Cracking up at the above comment about Stella's toes...girl DON'T open that can of worms. My girlfriend painted her 2 year olds nails and every time one chips or peels she's "MOMMY PAINT, MOMMY PAINT". My friend is like NO WAY is she getting a freakin' touch up every time one chips....LOL! Even at 2 they can be priss pots!
Love the center pieces - you did great!
Stella with the shoes - how freaking adorable! I love it!
Steph, I LOVE those centerpieces! How creative! I think it worked out well with the Guiness glasses! That's good not only for St. Patty's day, but for a cookout or something. I love blogging... so many good ideas shared. Hope you had a great weekend!
Post a Comment