Thursday, December 01, 2005

Thanksgiving and More...

Whew!!!! Life has been a bit of a whirlwind lately with the new job and the holidays....but I THINK I feel a little bit of breathing time coming up. My new boss is at Keswick today for a meeting so it will be a tad slower.

Thanksgiving was very nice; although not without some drama. I won't go into it too much because talking about it is equivalent to ripping my guts out but basically some members of Toby's extended family (on his Dad's side) refused to come to the family meal until my sister-in-law, Kim, and my new neice, Kendall, left because they did not want to be in the presense of a SEVEN WEEK OLD BABY who's father is black. That was never actually stated OUTLOUD but was extremely obvious; and was basically confirmed the next day when Kim called up to their house and confronted them.

And that's all I'm going to say because I'm getting worked up. Here is a picture of my beautiful, adorable, wonderful neice who is VERY loved by those that matter:



After that eventful family meal at 2:30pm, Toby and I hit the road for MY family's annual gathering in Tappahannock which was wonderful, as always. We got there around 5pm and left around 7 so we were not there very long. We missed the actual MEAL but that is just fine as I truly do not need to eat two Thanksgiving Dinners in one day.

On Friday, we hit the road again for Toby's Mom's house on the Eastern Shore to spend some time with her and her boyfriend, Rick, for Thanksgiving. On Saturday, Kim and her family came and we ALL spent another night. Siano, Kim's boyfriend, has another daughter (6 yrs old) from a previous relationship and she came with them. She quickly became Toby's best friend and she quickly made ME jealous with her AMAZING head of hair!




And in the true spirit of Thanksgiving: NAPS.
I must make a good pillow!



So, Thanksgiving is over and it was back to reality. The new job is going very well and I'm catching on more and more everyday. The first few days were a little rough - for a lot of reasons that I am not talking about...yet. :) Maybe one day. But now things are starting to even out and it's all falling into place and I'm feeling settled. Working for a VP is definitely up a few notches from my previous positions...so my anxiety level is higher than normal - I'm just scared of screwing up!!! I'm looking forward to getting more comfortable and not being on "level 10" every day!

My Monday back to work after the Holiday started off in an "interesting" way with another run-in with the mean lady in the locker room. This is my SECOND encounter with this woman - and it had my blood boiling and I nearly punched her in the face; which is SO unlike me. To make a long story short, this woman is as mean as a snake and has YELLED at me in the locker room in the fitness center here at work. Let me just say that NO ONE yells at me. No one. Not even my parents yelled at me when I was bad! So to have a complete stranger at work YELL at me?!?!?! Does not go over well.

My first encounter with her was last year some time.... She yelled at me for drying my hair near the sink and "filling it with hair" and not cleaning it up and for being inconsiderate of others. Ummm. #1 Who the heck are you? #2 I did not get hair in the sink. and #3 Why the HELL are you yelling at me in public locker room in front of lots of people?

This woman also pitches a fit when someone sprays anything - like deoderant, hairspray, perfume, etc... IS THIS NOT A WOMAN'S LOCKER ROOM AT 8AM IN THE MORNING??? Anyway..................

This past Monday, I walked into the locker room to hang my suit jacket on the pole where EVERYONE hangs their clothes while they are working out. She was the only other person in there and was pulling her clothes out of her bag and onto a hanger. I placed my hanger on the pole and turned to walk out when she yelled. (And I mean YELLED...)

"I WAS PUTTING MY CLOTHES ON A HANGER TO PUT THEM RIGHT THERE COULD YOU NOT SEE THAT?!?!?!"

I just stood there stunned, stared at her, reached up and moved my hanger over about 1 inch, and walked out.

Screw her.

And now I'm getting worked up over her so I"m going to stop this conversation as well.... I'll change the subject to a couple random thoughts I had this morning:

1. Why oh why does every single house in my neighborhood insist on filling their tiny front yards with SEVERAL blow up Christmas decorations that deflate during the night and look like big piles of laundry on their front lawn as I drive by to go to work in the mornings? And why oh why does that one house on the corner have a giant inflatable SNOW GLOBE in their yard that actually blows around fake snow in it?

2. I bet the sight of me (white girl) in her soccer mom vehicle (mazda tribute) jammin to "Hoochie Mama" by 2 Live Crew at top volume on the Powhite Parkway in the mornings really makes some people happy.

3. I really love my husband. That's not random but I just wanted to say it. :)

No comments: