My boss's father died this past weekend and my boss (Tom) is out of town this week for the funeral so I'm here alone procrastinating. I have lots I can do but I'm not in the mood. How's that for productivity??!! Tom just sent me an e-mail that could have made me cry if I was not at work surrounded by others. He said "You know, Steph, no matter how old they get, you think they are bullet proof and it will never happen to them." I don't think he Dad was sick - I don't know any details about his death - so I am guessing this was not expected. Lots of prayers for Tom.
On the work front, it's going ok. But I'm not 100% happy and I don't know why exactly. I think it's because my job has kind of morphed into something not as fun. How's that for an explanation! Ho Hum. I'm just BLAH. I keep checking the job posting board for other opportunities - I think I need a change and a CHALLENGE - but unless you are a scientist, you are out of luck at PM lately.... I'll keep on truckin and see what happens. But I'm always on the look-out.
Married life gets better and better. It's like little tests and obstacles all the time...especially in this NEW phase - since things come up that we have yet to deal with before - and we have to figure out what works. And sometimes that results in a "tiff" until we work through...and sometimes it's a piece of cake. It's exciting. And I love living with him - and having him to come home to every day after work.
We DID have an incident this past Friday that will hopefully never happen again. I went home sick on Friday - I just felt really achey and exhausted. I got home around 3pm and laid on the couch and waited for my husband. And waited. And waited. And called his cell phone at 6:30pm (he usually gets home around 5pm.) And waited. And waited. And cried....
Finally at EIGHT PM, he comes in the house. I ask "Where have you been?" He said "At the shop." I am visably upset and he says "Are you mad?"
Well, I said (calmly) "I'm not mad, I'm upset. You could have atleast called and told me where you were or told me go ahead and eat dinner. I've been waiting for you and frankly, I've been a little worried."
Well, he went to the back of the house and I heated up some macaroni since it was now obvious we would not be doing dinner together....and in a few minutes I hear the lovely sound of YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU DRINK TOO MUCH.
G.R.O.S.S.
Needless to say, I slept in the guestroom that night. We had a chat in the morning and he apologized for being a "sorry excuse for a husband" that night and I didn't rub it in too much because I KNOW he had suffered enough and had paid for his crime. I did tell him that we need to be more respectful of each other and even if he wanted to hang out with the guys at the shop and drink beer after work, atleast call me. I will NEVER tell him he can't do something or go somewhere; but atleast let me know where you are. And I promised to do the same.
We have some couple friends who have this issue a lot...where the husband goes out and just doesn't bother to call and the wife sits home and waits and worries...and I reminded Toby that I will NOT be "that wife." EVER. And I know he doesn't want me to be either. He just had a lapse in judgement. This married stuff IS still new.....
It was a great lesson learned for us both. And I wasn't even the one who had to have the hang over to learn something!
THANK GOD.
1 comment:
Learning to truly be accountable to someone, or rather accountable to their feelings and respecting that enough to help them not worry about you, is one of the hardest lessons of living together. After years of living alone and making decisions as a single entity, its a new concept to think of oneself as half of an entity.
He'll get there, though! :-)
Post a Comment